Sunday 5 February 2012

Ice and Fire

Well, ok, more like snow and fire really.

Here's this week's Pleasing Photo. More iPhone magic, I'm afraid - it's these lightless evenings that make real photography such a challenge! Here's the shot I've (reluctantly) chosen from the (uninspiring) collection of images taken this week:

PP#6 Treefinger
"Treefinger" because it really looks to me like the tree is pointing - or trying to reach the tree on the other side of the road (rather like God in The Creation of Adam - or at least that's what it reminded me of, but then I am coming over all intellectual this week what with downloading iTunes U and listening to philosophy lectures on my way home from work...)

"Snow" because of course the tree is covered in it, as is the ground in St Albans. Great fun for all today, but we're a little concerned about the freeze which seems to come after snow.

"Fire" because, until I took the above this morning on the way to church, number one contender for PP#6 was another fire photo:


This is the fire that Noah lit to melt the ice in the firepit so that we could clear out the ashes, lumps of charred wood and bent nails and cover it up properly. Ironic, then, that before the fire had even burnt out it started to snow?

PS
I know my challenge also involved sewing at least one pleasing item each month. I have completed my item for January! Mum and dad even saw it over Skype before the month had ended. But I haven't had chance to get any good photos of it yet (mainly because it's been too cold to wear it for general use without covering it up with more woolly layers). I'll tell you all about it soon though!

1 comment:

  1. I find this photo calmly suggests the vastness of space is comparable with the chasm between two bits of tree. Yet hints that connection across chasms is possible.

    ReplyDelete