Monday 30 January 2012

Preposterous Skirt


Back in the day (as Noah would say), I had a pair of preposterous trousers. Extremely long, far too big for me, the widest flares you could imagine and in a set of - how shall I put it - quite noticeable colours.

They were my preposterous trousers, and I loved them. You too may have known and loved them, if you were part of my university life.

You can behold their glory in this (rather odd) photo:


Much though I loved my preposterous trousers, I didn't wear them nearly often enough. This was due in part to the excessively large waistband, which increased the ease of slipping out of the trousers to rather a dangerous degree; and in part to the excessive length and width of the legs, which soaked up water as far as the knee if I went out in the rain and soon became a ragged mess of muddy fabric at the hem. They spent a couple of years in my so-called mending pile* before making their way out into the garage.

Along came Greenbelt, John-Paul Flintoff, a £30 sewing machine from ebay and a book called Design-It-Yourself Clothes with a simple-looking section on skirts.

A few evenings of greaseproof paper, careful snipping, somewhat cavalier pinning and a steep learning curve on the buttonholes later, and... ta-daa!


My new skirt. Lovely. All it lacks is pockets. (And some better lighting for the photo, maybe?)

(Also a button came off the other day. What is the good and proper way to sew on buttons?)

*As a child I had a t-shirt I loved which got a hole in it. My dear mother told me to put it in the mending pile. Quoth I, "Oh no, I don't want to do that. I'd really like to see this t-shirt again one day." My own mending pile, alas, is something of the same ilk.

5 comments:

  1. I love your skirt, the fabric is amazing! Found you through the refashion coop, now following.
    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just popped over to your blog... I like the cake :) my family has always been into amazingly complicated birthday cakes too

      Delete
  2. Lovely skirt!
    Buttons- the sewing on of: first anchor your thread with a couple of small stitches in the fabric, then sew back and forth through all layers until the holes are mostly full. If the buttons are heavy or have a metal shank, leave the thread you sew through loose, wrap these threads with more thread and anchor the end through your thread shank, through the fabric and sew off as you began - small stitches and tie off with 2 granny knots. Make sure your thread is an appropriate weight for the button, sewing with double thread makes it all quicker and make sure you have a long enough thread. VoilĂ 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll try that next time. These are big buttons, and I used thin thread. It seems obvious now that that wasn't a good idea...

      Delete
  3. Where's that 'Like' button. Ah, this is of the Google family.
    Consider your 'Like' button pressed.

    ReplyDelete