Sunday 6 October 2013

Creamy Goodness

I thought it was about time I tried some messy play with Asher. One idea I'd seen was to whip up some cream, add different colours of food colouring and let the baby 'paint' with it. I though that painting and different colours might be a bit beyond where Ash is at the moment, so I decided we'd start just with simple whipped cream and take it from there.


I whipped up the cream in front of him and he was trying to get his hands in there before I'd even finished. I showed him what I was doing then put the bowl down on the tuff spot as soon as it was whipped. Asher got his hands in the bowl straight away...


... and they were into his mouth before I'd even put the whisk down. He obviously liked the cream because he spent a couple of minutes just eating it.


Although I hadn't exactly intended for him just to eat a lot of cream, I was very interested to see that he was quite capable of dipping his hands in and sucking it off his fingers. This isn't a technique I've ever seen him use at mealtimes. Maybe that's because I don't usually trust him with a bowl in his high chair (too easy to fling!)


As you can see, I spread some cream out on the tray, patted it, and used my finger and the whisk to draw lines and shapes. Asher maybe patted it a couple of times but he was a lot more interested initially in eating the cream, and subsequently in trying the utensils in his mouth.


I also tried splatting handfuls of cream down on the tray. But again he wasn't really interested. I guess he really is still all about putting things into his mouth. (Although I think he might be teething too - maybe the cold cream was soothing on his gums).

Does this mean he's too little for this kind of play? I'm not sure. At the end he crawled to me and tried to grab my hands to stand up, but we were both so creamy that it felt dangerously slippy. He did get to his feet - but immediately slipped over again in the pile of cream! So not a fantastic conclusion to the activity. Having said that, after we'd got him all clean and changed we came back downstairs and it looked like he wanted to have another go in his cream pit.

Maybe we'll try again next week and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment