Monday 28 September 2009

It begins.

Today was my first day at Teacher School! This morning I made myself a packed lunch, found my pencil case, put on my uniform (not really!) and set off on the 25-minute walk to campus. On arrival I was, to my surprise, greeted by name by a lady I didn't recognise (she introduced herself as Elaine, and I realised she was the very helpful course assistant I had been emailing). All the PGCE and Education students piled into a big hall for an introductory talk, which in fact consisted of three introductory talks by three different people.

After the introductory talk, the PGCE students were taken off to a room upstairs to have an introductory talk. This was followed by a short break, and then another introductory talk. After that we did some science, which was fun: I won a bookmark for making a plasticene boat (it floated, but only just!) and we all did some Science Karaoke.

After that we had lunch, and then there was another introductory talk. After which we were separated into tutor groups and went to our different rooms for... wait for it... an introductory talk!

Then we went home.

Walking back along the seafront (yay!) I pondered the heaviness of my rucksack, newly filled with stacks of paper all about teaching small children. I guess I'm supposed to read it all, although not right now. Most of it is standards and procedures. But we were given some actual homework: a science audit to complete. The idea is that we test ourselves to see where the gaps in our knowledge are (although we do have to forward our scores to the science teacher!) The audit is available online, so if you're really bored, have a go and see what you think. I'm ashamed to say I only scored 73% (but I blame that on the confusing diagrams!)

On the whole, I think it's going to be fun.

1 comment:

  1. Your score was WAY above mine, good thing you and not I are training to be a teacher.

    ReplyDelete