Saturday 26 September 2009

My first excursion

Today I had my first excursion by railway from Scarborough. It felt momentous, somehow... Scarborough feels more like home now that I've been somewhere and come back to it.

York was the destination of this first trip [1]. York, glorious county town, oozing with history; brimful of Roman, Norman and Medieval architecture; abounding in narrow, winding streets and Norse-influenced onomastics. Yes, there are tourists, modern high-street chains and lots of cars and buses... but there are gargoyles! A river! The Railway Museum! So many things to enjoy!

I'll try not to idealise it too much, but I've always loved York. Today Pam and I spent some time soaking up the stillness inside the Minster. I was excited to find that you can go up the tower - I don't know if you used to be able to, but I never have before. After enough spiral staircasing to make us quite dizzy we emerged into the shining blue world of outside. The sky was fenced off from us but we could see for miles: Clifford's Tower; the city walls; the North York Moors; even Pam's house! Definitely well worth the climb.

After a sandwich we wandered through the food festival, all agog to see whether this cornucopia of sights and smells could offer any cake that took our fancy. We found that, indeed, it could. The largest and most chocolatey muffins I have ever seen, and I mean ever. Mmmm!

A trip to Clifford's Tower and a sit beside the river in the sun concluded a very pleasant day of touristy exploring. And a conversation on the way back to the train station suggested another idea for a blog post. Pam and I had been talking all day about books and kept recommending things to each other, but I knew I'd never remember them all so I asked her to send me an email with the top ten. Then I thought other people might be interested too, so I've posted my top ten
here. Have a look, let me know what you think, and post some recommendations for me to look up!


[1] Well, first apart from Whitby last week - but that was more of an impromptu family trip. And it was by car, not train.

No comments:

Post a Comment