Thursday 24 September 2009

When the Internet Breaks

My internet 'connection' has not been working very well recently, which is why I haven't posted anything for a few days. Sometimes it's fine; other times it just cuts out. Frustrating. Even Thom couldn't tell me what's wrong with it!

So, in the absence of instant communication with everywhere in the world, I've actually been doing a little pre-course reading. I have several nice books here, of which I think my favourite is The Excellence of Play by Janet Moyles. Not only does it have the best title ever for a textbook, it's also full of interesting articles and research showing how valuable play can be in the classroom. Marvellous.

I've also been walking along the clifftops (it's surprising how much the sea distorts things you're trying to look at - I was staring at a speck for absolutely ages, unsure whether it was a wave or a distant boat... I think I need some binoculars!)

Baking bread has formed another occupation in these heady pre-course days of freedom. Not to mention my (varyingly successful!) endeavours at cooking Indian style food, reading the whole of The Life of Pi (very good, I'd recommend it) and even... tidying my bedroom!

I've been doing a bit of churchy stuff too. Last night I went to a cell group where I met some very friendly people, and this evening I'm going to help out with the alpha course. I often find alpha frustrating and there are many reasons why I don't like it, but it's what the church is doing, I want to be involved, and even if it's not perfect, it's better than doing nothing. I've been reading The Irresistible Revolution again too (well, bits of it) and getting all excited.

Time, I think, to go and partake of some of that freshly baked bread (mmm).
Oh, and in case you're wondering, it was a boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment