Tuesday 15 September 2009

Living on my own

I'm quite excited about my new flat. The location is one of my favourite things about it. Not only is it ideally situated for gallivanting (only five minutes from the beach) and for visitors (five minutes the other way to the station), but town (with a fine range of shops including three separate purveyors of pick and mix!) is also very nearby.

I'm enjoying being inside the flat too. Its position on the second floor of a building set back from the road up a fairly steep incline affords a delightful sensation of high-up-ness and the chance to look out of beautiful large sash windows down to the street below. The huge windows also let in a lot of sunlight (fortunate perhaps, as my electricity is on a pound-coin-operated meter!) and make me all nostalgic about the house I grew up in.

It's sort of strange not to have housemates. I'm very much enjoying being able to arrange things exactly as I like and to do the washing up just when I want, and it's nice to know that I definitely won't be getting in anybody's way if I decide to stay up all night reading in the living room [1] or get up to make breakfast at 6am [2]. I have to confess, though, that I do get lonely quite easily, and I'm already trying to work out how I can be hospitable with this exciting space I've got. Initial attempts to make friends with my next door neighbour didn't go brilliantly (there was no answer when I knocked on the door), but I have a hope and a faith that God will lead me into friendship and community during my time here. Please pray that he leads me to the right people!

[1] This is quite likely.
[2] This is considerably less likely. At least, it is until my placements begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment