Tuesday 3 November 2009

My Unexplained Absence Explained

Well. I haven't been here since Luke's birthday.

'Here' virtually, you understand. In physical terms I've been very much 'here' in Scarborough, and have even spent quite a bit of time 'here' in front of Gwyn [1], typing away. Since Sunday, most of that typing has been on my play essay. In fact you could say there's been a bit too much typing and my work would now benefit from some judicious use of the backspace button, as my assignment is currently about 1500 words too long. As Noah pointed out, I have an essay and a third. And I haven't even said everything yet!

Before Sunday, I found myself somewhat too busy to write for a rather more pleasing reason, namely the actual presence, right here, in my flat, of the aforementioned Noah! He was able to come and stay for a whole week, and it was fantastic. Anyone wanting directions on how to impress their girlfriend should apply immediately to him. I wasn't feeling too well, but it mattered not a bit: Noah did most of the cooking and all the washing up, and even made my packed lunch. He arranged some charming surprises for Roundabout Day [2]; he came to meet me from lectures, took me out for dinner, impressed me by cooking calzone, bought me an ice cream and told me bedtime stories. He even took my rubbish out and made me some delicious green bread [3].

All of which was wonderful. But the most wonderful thing of all wasn't being cared for in a truly decadent fashion. It was rather the pure joy of being close to the person I love so completely.


[1] My computer.
[2] Everyone celebrates Roundabout Day, don't they? 27th October? It's a very romantic story...
[3] Apparently it was supposed to be blue, but he was overly modest with the food colouring.

3 comments:

  1. I have, sadly, been unable to find out anything about Roundabout Day, other than herein. What is it, and how can I prepare to best celebrate it next year?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Story of the First Roundabout Day

    It was October. A dreary, rainy, drizzly sort of day. Kate had been in the asnac department all day, and whilst the asnac department is always a fun place to be, nine hours is a long time to spend anywhere. Walking home through the dark streets of Cambridge, Kate began to feel just perhaps a little fed up.

    Claire was in. Kate and Claire decided to begin thinking about what they might perhaps make for dinner. Then the telephone rang - Claire's mum. Whilst Claire was still on the phone, the doorbell rang.

    Hmm, thought Kate. That's probably one of Simon's friends. Oh well, I'll go and answer it.

    So she opened the door.

    It was not one of Simon's friends.

    It was the person Kate (perhaps) least expected to see (well, you know, aside from fictional characters and people from history). It was, in fact, Noah.

    Kate was so astonished that she did not know what to say. She had never been speechless before, and was quite surprised to find that it actually did happen. She stepped back to let Noah in.

    You see, Kate had liked Noah for quite a long time, but she didn't think she'd ever get to see him again because he didn't live very nearby. But Noah explained that he had come to Cambridge "to go for a walk".

    So, after a brief and uninformative explanation to Claire, Kate and Noah went out for a walk. They got as far as Davy Road park, where they sat on a very lovely roundabout and had a most interesting conversation.

    And that was just the beginning.

    The next year, they decided to make Roundabout Day - October 27th - an international celebration. Traditional festivities include squeezing as many 'round' events into the evening as possible (theatre in the round, for example, or visiting round buildings, or restaurants where the plates are round...), exchanging Roundabout Cards and, of course, spinning round and round until you fall over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now I understand: thank you :)

    ReplyDelete