Tuesday 24 November 2009

What, already?

"Humph was a camel with brown eyes, and his favourite word was 'humph'. Humph! His favourite word was 'humph'."

I am, I feel, quite as aware of this particular camel's vocabulary preferences as anybody needs to be. We're on a regime of two to three rehearsals a day for the songs in the Christmas play, and Humph's limited lexis (however precocious for an ungulate) is reiterated at the end of every verse of this one. I am similarly well-informed about the unceasing industry of Bethlehem's innkeepers, the shepherds' earnest desire to show the way, and the twinkling, diamond-like nature of a certain little star. The children sing beautifully (way better than I can) and I'm sure the extravaganza will be in every way delightful. I just wish those charming musical numbers would stay behind at school instead of interrupting my evening with well-meaning gallivants through my unsuspecting consciousness.

Anyway, the lights are up in town, I've been hearing suspiciously (un?)seasonal songs in the shops, and I received an advent calendar in the post this morning (thanks Mum!)

It may only be the middle of November, but it seems that Christmas 2009 is almost upon us...

3 comments:

  1. Well, I always think that Christmas starts on the 1st December. That's only 6 days away!

    P.S. Merry Christmas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The city lights are up here, too; I shall soon start counting Christmas trees on the way to work. There are none, obviously, along the motorway, but I think there'll be some on the first, and many on the last, bit of the journey.

    Not heard many songs, yet...though it's nearly time for me to break out Handel's Messiah, which I always look forward to :)

    At least your ungulate isn't spitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, it is almost advent. I really like singing O Come O Come Emmanuel on Advent Sunday, which I guess is this weekend. So Merry Christmas (or at least Merry Advent...) to you too!

    ReplyDelete