Sunday 20 November 2011

Funny Old Weekend

Noah's been away in Eastbourne at a youth work conference this weekend. In fact he's not even back yet (silly old M25 traffic) but I'm expecting him any minute (yay!)

It's been a strange weekend without him. On Saturday I tried going round our local charity shops - something we often do together - but it wasn't much fun without him. Which is odd, because when he's there I usually feel like I'm being far too slow and must hurry up. Maybe having a limited amount of time makes it more fun?

I messed around, wasting away the whole day, feeling kind of poorly and not at all like doing anything (not even sewing). Until about 7:30pm, when I suddenly decided that actually I did want to make something. A few pattern pieces later, and... I have a half-finished jersey dress. I didn't get time to finish the neckline or put the pockets in (new rule: I must stop sewing when I start shouting at the machine!) but if I get some time tomorrow evening I reckon it'll be done. The thing is, I don't even know whether I like it or not... it's a very bold stripe, which I've placed right down the middle of the dress, but it looks much better at the sides where the stripes kind of chevron together.



Oh... and a question (just in case any sewists chance to read this blog post): how do awewome sewing people attach side seam pockets? I cut them separately and at the moment I've stitched along the seams leaving a hole to sew the pocket in. But I'm sure there must be a better way!

On a completely different note, this morning was pretty interesting. Our church* does this 'Seminar Sunday' thing once a term, where instead of everybody sitting in for the same sermon you have to think about which one you'd prefer to go to. I went to a talk by a lovely lady called Janice about her project, The Living Room, an addiction treatment centre in Stevenage. They're thinking of setting one up in St Albans. I was pretty interested - I'm always interested in in-the-community stuff like this - but I didn't really see how I could possibly be involved, since I don't have any experience at all with addiction or counselling. Then... Janice mentioned that as part of their service they run an OFSTED registered creche... of course it's all very new at the moment and I don't know whether or not I'll end up being involved. But I've always hoped that this teaching thing would lead to a different kind of service with young children... Exciting!

*Apologies for the cheesy website...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, thanks for your comment on my blog!
    I use this tutorial for pockets: http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/sew-in-seam-pockets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy - that tutorial looks really useful. I'll definitely try that method next time!

    ReplyDelete