Monday 28 November 2011

Playtime!

After another day spent in bed feeling poorly, I decided at about half past three that I was going to BE BETTER, darn it! I phoned school and told them to expect me in tomorrow. And of course, if I'm going to work tomorrow, that means I'm allowed to get up and play this evening!

What playing looks like these days
I had an idea for (yet another!) garment I wanted to make, this time out of some purple fabric I got from St Albans market last weekend. I bought it despite the fact that Noah doesn't like it at all (shock!) and I see it as a challenge to turn it into a garment he admires. (Well, at least, a garment he approves of). I also want to make something I know I'll wear a lot. About my favourite kind of garment ever is a hoodie, so without further ado I shall attempt to create one of my very own design.

Here's the fabric:


I think what Noah doesn't like is the flowery print. I kind of like it, but mainly bought the fabric because it's such a good purple colour (slightly darker than in this photo, in fact). I've decided to try using the fabric back to front for the most part, just highlighting certain parts of the hoodie with the flowers facing out. I'll have to choose where I cut carefully!

To be honest it's more a hooded t-shirt than a hoodie, but I'm hoping it will be big enough to wear with a layer underneath. This evening I've been re-drafting my basic t-shirt pattern (from Cal Patch's most edifying book Design-It-Yourself Clothes, which guides the reader through simple steps to create well-fitting versions of several basic garments). I made it a bit bigger (so I can wear a layer underneath) and have also added a yoke (which will be flowers-out) and separate cuffs. And, of course, a hood! I used Suzanne's tutorial over at Beau Baby, tracing around a couple of hoods I already own to get the shape right. I'm thinking of lining my hood with the same fabric (but again, flowers-out).

I just need to make a decision on the question of pockets (yes? no? two small or one big? patch or side seam? what shape? topstitched or not? flowers-out or flowers-in?) and I can start cutting!

Today's question: Are there any other grown-ups out there who love to wear tops with hoods? Have you ever sewn a hooded garment for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment