Sunday 15 January 2012

Fun goals, skipped stitches and painting with light

Pleasing Photograph #3
I've never been one for New Year's Resolutions - I dislike the stigma of not eating chocolate for the first two weeks of January, going running once, and then forgetting all about them. But when my dad went to Argentina for New Year a few years ago he brought back a tradition I preferred. There, people choose twelve goals - not so much resolutions as things they would like to achieve. I find this much more fun and exciting because you can choose things you're really interested in, rather than 'worthy' things like working harder or trying to lose weight. Two of the goals I chose for this year are relevant to two of my favourite hobbies, so I thought I'd mention them here.

The first is my project to create at least one pleasing photograph every week. Note my cunning use of the term "create" - it's a bit of a get-out-clause in case I REALLY don't have time to take my camera out one week, and it means I could get away with editing an old shot to create something new. But my intention is to be taking at least one pleasing photograph each week. I'll be posting them here every Sunday (and also on flickr). Above is this week's Pleasing Photo; see below for some close contenders.

My other hobby-related goal is that I'd like to create at least one pleasing sewn item each month. I know there are crazy people out there who aim to sew a garment every week, or refashion something every day - but I don't have that kind of time! I do think, however, that I should be able to manage one a month.

Having said that, I'm running out of time for January... and if my sewing machine continues to behave like it did yesterday I might be in trouble! In the three hours (approximately) I spent sewing, I managed to complete one, yes one, finished seam. Initially it was because the machine kept skipping stitches, a problem which I only partially solved. But I do have my own mental capacity to thank as well, because in trying to follow these simple and admirable instructions for adding pockets I managed to over-think things (I always do...) and sewed all four of the pocket pieces on backwards. Grr. Unpick, unpick, unpick.

At this point the ever-charming Noah decided that the only thing that could possibly cheer me up would be a good blaze. He took some scrap newspaper and a bit of the fence that had blown down a few weeks ago, and set to work in the firepit. I did a little more unpicking but soon determined that my time would be better spent outside, where the fire was now going. So I grabbed my tripod, changed into jeans and headed outside to snap about a million photos. We had a really good blaze going and then, as the flames died down, we decided (as we always do) to try a bit of cooking in the embers. This time we had a good idea of what to make: "hobo bags", a la Danielle's wedding. Noah parcelled up some chopped potato, onion and garlic in tinfoil, with some seasoning of course, and the result twenty minutes later was delicious.

Here are a few more firey photos that didn't quite make it as PP#3. What do you think - did I choose the right one?



No comments:

Post a Comment