Friday 29 March 2013

Pilgrimage


I'm thinking about my friends over at Northern Cross today. It's a few years since I've done it now, but at Easter I always remember the four times I've walked for a week with a group of fellow pilgrims, carrying a large wooden cross up hills, across bogs, along beaches and through woods. Good Friday, although sombre, is also a day of celebration as the different groups meet at Beal Sands and take the traditional pilgrims' route through what was the sea a few hours ago to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne.


My pilgrimage this year has been somewhat different! I've barely noticed Lent, caught up as I am in the beautiful and wonderful and demanding new life that has miraculously been entrusted to me and Noah to love and nourish and nurture. I have done some excellent and some terrible mothering. I have played, smiled and sung songs... and I have despaired, complained and shouted. I have tried to pray and often failed; I have on occasion read the Bible. There has been a lot of good and a lot of bad. The times I remember to rely on God rather than trying to do everything for myself are better!

But today is a day to remember Jesus. To remember his all-forgiving love. To remember how he took on our sins and died for us, so that we could be free. To ask forgiveness for our sins, and be made new and clean in him.




No comments:

Post a Comment