Saturday 17 October 2009

Amusing, interesting or exciting?

I would write about something amusing, interesting or exciting, but nothing particularly amusing, interesting or exciting has been happening over the last few days...

Oh well, I suppose it was kind of amusing that I ended up dripping wet and completely lost on my way back from Uni on Friday, having attempted my usual seashore route only to find it blocked off by some very determined waves...

As for interesting - the assignment I'm doing on play is actually quite interesting (although most subjects will lose their appeal after several hours of solid study). At the moment I'm thinking that I could use the entire 4,000 words just trying to satisfy the introductory objective of defining play. I've been looking at the status of play historically too, and I was surprised to find that as early as the 1600s education "through the door of the senses" was advocated for young children instead of rote-learning. But it all went wrong when the government started to take over! I thought SATs were bad enough, but apparently in 1862 an Act was passed which meant that the amount of funding received by schools was to be determined by the number of children deemed proficient in reading, writing and arithmetic!

And something exciting? Perhaps it would be wisest to pay heed to The Railway Children and, far from wishing something exciting would happen, be glad that it hasn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment