Friday 2 October 2009

Surprise!!

Crouching in a nook outside Milford Baptist Church, listening to the excited chatter of the departing Cruisers, I began to wonder how Noah would react to my unexpected presence. I hadn't really planned to surprise him but, after a busy morning of bear impressions, we had been released from university unusually early. And I've been missing him even more than usual over the past week. And there was that diary I needed to give to him... the opportunity seemed just too good to ignore.


Five hours and 350 miles later, I had plenty of time to ponder as I sat, half-hidden by Suzi, Noah's car, intently averting my eyes from all passers by so as not to attract their gaze. I was surprised, actually, that nobody saw me - one lady even walked within a metre of me and didn't notice me sitting there in the dark.


The Cruisers went home. I began to get a little chilly and quietly got out a jumper. After some time, the other leaders came out and drove away. By now I was shivering, and not a little anxious that the trip might have been misjudged - what if my arrival merely caused an inconvenience? Aaaah!


But eventually, Noah appeared. I saw him come over to his car, hesitate, and pick up the diary, which I had left under the windscreen wiper. He looked around but didn't see me at first. So I alerted him to my presence. I have to say that he appeared disappointingly unastonished, but he has assured me that he wasn't expecting anything. And he did seem happy. We went out to look at the stars, and to dance in the light of a moon so bright it cast our shadows, which danced as well.

3 comments:

  1. A truely great blog - and great that you will travel so far to surprise Noah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I do love surprises.

    And I'm still shocked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have done the same this weekend!

    ReplyDelete