Thursday 8 October 2009

Second Week

Despite feeling preposterously busy, there hasn't actually been much going on to write home about... we've had some lectures and given some presentations, and I've spent quite a lot of time sitting on the floor surrounded by a pile of paper, trying to work out what to put in which file. I went to cell last night (we looked at gifts and callings, and prayed a lot, which was nice) and I've just been for a walk with Michaela to find our first placement school, which is only just down the road from my house.

I'm disappointed to say that I've not been for a walk by the sea since Monday. I used to walk home that way every day, but this week I've been fortunate enough to walk home with other people who live near me. It's really nice getting to know people a bit better - but I miss walking by the sea!

This evening I'm off to Ebenezer for the third session in the Alpha course we're running. Again it's nice to get to know people there, and to have a bit of a chat after watching the videos, but I have to confess that I've always struggled with Alpha. I don't know why. I guess I don't like the way it tries to package God up neatly in a smart green booklet [1], and I don't find the videos at all inspiring. But I have enjoyed the discussions afterwards. I'd appreciate some Alpha-related prayer!

[1] If Noah were here we could take a break for him to tell you all about McDonaldization

1 comment:

  1. Alpha was pretty good actually. We had some delicious home-made lemon meringue pie and a bit of chat about faith. But what the video really left me wondering was, did the Duke of Newcastle ever get into that wheelbarrow?

    ReplyDelete