Thursday 15 October 2009

School Days

Yesterday was our first day in school. Claire (my placement partner) and I spent the day getting to know the children and the setting. In the morning we were shown around the classroom by a helpful lad who also demonstrated where to find the dustpan to sweep sand off the floor. We had numerous 'cards' made for us, mainly by the same boy, who liked to glue up the edges of them so we couldn't open them. After break we went for outdoor play. 

I was surprised that the children in the class are obliged to spend one of the three daily sessions outside. However, there are loads of excellent resources - bicycles, scooters, wheely boards, big felt tips and giant paper, investigation kits, giant building blocks - and a large sheltered area in case it rains. The children spend a lot of time scooting about, balancing on the beams, arguing over the trailer-bike and, today, hiding in cardboard boxes. The class is made up of loads of interesting characters - great as individuals, but kind of hard to settle as a group. Perhaps this is why they don't really have much choice about going to play outside!

I spent most of yesterday afternoon kneeling down at the sand tray, being taught to make 'cakes' by four-year-old girls who then adopted me as their baby and insisted on feeding me sand pizza, soup and porridge. They wanted to play the same game today but, alas, I had been given a task by the teacher and had to call them over one at a time to make bear masks.

I'm exhausted now! I think that's mainly due to not sleeping much last night, but school seems quite tiring too. Not to mention the fact that I'm also meant to be working on my first assignment!

On the whole it's been a fun two days and I'm looking forward to going back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment