Friday 22 February 2013

Making Boy Trousers

I like sewing.

I have a little boy.

So I was pretty pleased to see that a couple of my favourite blogs, Made and Made by Rae, are teaming up for another series of Celebrate the Boy. Starting on Monday there will be two weeks of inspiration and tutorials for stuff to sew for boys. It's a good idea because, once you start looking, a lot of the children's patterns out there are for dresses. And whilst I don't have anything against boys wearing dresses per se, I don't think that's the way to go when I'm still choosing his clothes... ;)

I know my boy is only very little (I guess I really need baby projects rather than boy ones?) but I still think I'd like to join in. Especially as I've been planning to make a pair of dungarees for Asher out of some delectable dinosaur fabric which I've been eyeing up Fashion and Fabrics for over a year now. When Mum was here I confessed that I'd always liked it, and she very kindly bought me a metre to make something for my little boy. Thanks, Mum!

However, that's in the future. For now, here are the things I've already made for Ash:

Basic Newborn Pant - I think he's already outgrown these!
Big Butt Baby Pants
By the way, it's really tricky getting pictures of the baby in the trousers! Every time he's worn either pair we've been dashing out somewhere, or else he's been a bit grumpy and not really in the mood for being photographed. So here's a picture of the trousers by themselves. Here's the back view:



I opted to make the turn up cuffs on both pairs. They're made to look the same whether or not they're turned up, and they should mean Ash can wear the trousers for much longer. (There's a gap in the waistband for easy elastic adjustment, too).

I should say that I liked using these patterns. Normally I tend to make it up by myself so it was nice to have the first stage done for me. Although I made the red ones second they're less well executed. I'm not sure why, unless it was that I made them after I had the baby* and I was rushing to finish them before he woke up! Places I messed up were sewing the rear patch on - you have to turn it whilst you sew which makes it tricky to keep the seam allowance even - and the waistband - I always seem to get waistband puckers. You can't really tell when he's wearing them though!

Two simple patterns, both quick and easy, and both fitted Asher very well over either kind of nappy. Good stuff!


*I don't mean directly after...

No comments:

Post a Comment